The first step toward being a fully licensed rider is to obtain a motorcycle permit. But due to its many restrictions, in most states, riders with just a permit must have a licensed rider onboard the vehicle at all times. Most times, the person with the license can be a friend or a family member. However, this set of options is not always available, which raises the question, can I ride alone with a motorcycle permit?
It is possible to ride a motorcycle permit without a driving license. However, the transportation authorities have put several measures in place so that the permit holder does not cause any harm to the other drivers on the road. Therefore the permission is but a temporary one.
What Is A Motorcycle Permit And How To Get One?
A vehicle’s permit is also referred to as vehicle ownership. It is a paper mostly colored that a state or Regional Transport authority issues to its citizens to prove ownership of a vehicle. Therefore, a motorcycle permit is proof of ownership of a motorcycle. A motorcycle permit is quite important for every bike rider on the road; it shows that the vehicle is not stolen and is in the hands of the legitimate owner.
Although, most times, a lot of people tend to mistake permits for a license. It is crucial to note that these are two different certificates from the transport authorities. While permits prove ownership, licenses allow one to conduit the vehicle. However, a motorcycle permit can also allow one to ride a bike, but it is only for a short period hence, why it is also called a learner’s permit.
Therefore, before one gets a driving license, one must first possess a permit. However, a crucial thing to note is that jurisdictions vary. In some jurisdictions, a permit is issued after one successfully passes a driving test, whereas, in others, one obtains a permit before driving.
Below are the steps to get a motorcycle permit:
- Firstly, visit the DMV in the area. DMV stands for Department of Motor Vehicles; it is an agency under the government that issues out motor vehicle registration and driver’s license. It can be at a national or state level depending on the area.
- Then register for the exam; it costs about $2 to $10. Although, it depends on the state’s or country’s DMV. Government funds like tax and others might affect the cost.
- The exam mostly consists of 25 questions. To qualify, one must get eighty per cent of the questions correctly. Other than that, the applicant has to try again. This means that one loses the payment for registration and has to pay again. Therefore, it is vital to study before the test; the test mostly comprises of different questions about the vehicle and how to ensure safety tips always while riding.
- Although, if one successfully passes the exam, they will get their permit. The exercise should take about 15 minutes max.
Why It Is Important To Get A Motorcycle Permit?
A lot of people think of the motorcycle permit as an irrelevant piece of paper. The truth is that this paperwork is way more than that. It ensures that a rider fully knows everything about riding a bike and that everyone on the road is safe.
A few reasons to get a motorcycle permit are:
- It proves ownership: This is one of the foremost reasons for a permit. A motorcycle permit tells that the rider is a legal owner of the vehicle they ride. This means that no authority can cease the vehicle without good reason.
- It guarantees the safety of others: A permit is a certificate that tells that one is a good candidate for a license. This keeps other riders, and the authorities assured that the cardholder understands every road safety measure and would not cause any harm on the road.
- It guarantees that the rider fully understands the bike’s controls: The truth is that there are several complex motorcycles out there, and with the constant evolution of tech, there are bound to be more. A permit makes sure that the vehicle owner fully grasps all there is about the purchase so that they do not abuse the product and cause nuisance on the road.
How To Get A Bike Driving License?
Once a person gets a motorcycle permit, the next thing is to get a driving license. If one starts the day early, it is possible to get both the permit and license the same day. One must use the bike to its optimum performance once the permit is issued, regardless of the temporary time to drive with a permit.
The steps to get a bike driving license are:
- First thing is to visit the nearest Department of Motor Vehicles. The department will ask a series of questions about residency and citizenship, and also ask for the permit for the bike to ensure the applicant has the right knowledge.
- The department will request payment for the license form. The payment is mostly 10 to 15 per cent of the bike’s cost. Although, most states and countries have it at a fixed rate.
- Afterwards, it’s time for the test; the test involves a series of skill checks. A supervisor watches the applicant throughout the process to make sure they observe all the safety rules and proper postures there are to conduit a bike.
- If the supervisor deems the applicant worthy, they will get a driving license. The pass mark is mostly about 80 per cent.
Note that it is possible to get the permit and license on the same day. However, it depends on one’s schedule and the schedule of the department. Endeavor to ask if there is time to spare.
Can I Ride Alone With A Motorcycle Permit?
For anyone that might ask can I ride alone with a motorcycle permit? The simple answer is yes. But there are several restrictions that one must observe to avoid harassment from the authorities. These restrictions ensure that the rider of the bike does not pose any danger to others on the road until they get a license.
The restrictions to riding with only a motorcycle permit are:
- A rider with only a permit must not transport any passengers other than a supervisor duly authorized to operate a motorcycle.
- Every rider with just a permit must drive only between the hours of 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Late hours pose a threat to the rider and other vehicle drivers on the road.
- Students with motorcycle grants are not allowed to have passengers and can only ride from 5:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- For a student to obtain a recently approved permit, the applicant must have a student motorcycle permit and pass a high-level skills assessment.
- Riders with a permit must have an authorized driver at their side. The driver must be at least 21 years of age; it can be a guardian or maybe a friend 18 years and above.
- If a youth drives for business purposes, the person may drive between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.
These restrictions are strict or light in some parts; it all depends on the constitution and the transport authority. It is crucial to note that these restrictions might also vary. Therefore, it is important to look up information about permits in one’s region, so one does not incur the law’s wrath.
Related Reading: Motorcycle Boots for Short Rider
What Other Things Can A Motorcycle Permit Be Used For?
Motorcycle permits do not just tell ownership; they serve for various official purposes in various countries. This makes its significance boundless.
A few more uses of a motorcycle permit are:
- It serves as a means of Identification: Motorcycle permits can serve as a quick means of identification for when a rider or person has no other ID on them. This is because a permit bears the name, address, and other information about the holder. One can also use them to enroll on a few government benefit programs.
- It serves as a temporary license: A motorcycle permit holder is one that fully understands all there is about biking and road safety measures. This means that permits give an assurance that a rider will make an even better rider with the possession of a license.
- It helps to get insurance: Permits are the ideal proof for insurance companies. It guarantees the companies that one is an able rider and is fit for insurance. This further opens up opportunities for premium insurance rates.
- It ensures one rides freely: As long as one observes all the restrictions there are to permits; it is alright to ride freely. However, it is crucial to get a license immediately one has the resources to do so. A rider will enjoy riding more and will be able to run late hours.
Uncertain about the authenticity of bike permits, one might ask can I ride alone with a motorcycle permit? The answer is yes. Motorcycle permits serve various functions to both the user and the safety of other road users. However, one must observe the various restrictions Transport Authorities put in place to avoid getting in trouble.